Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What dogs shouldn’t definitely eat

I am from the time were giving dry food was something like an luxury and therefore dogs were feed with our food.

So when people say that we must not give any of our food to the dogs, I wonder why not.

So, after some research I found some interesting articles that focus this topic and report in a consistent way what really should be excluded from the dog food.

I thing as general rule, dogs should eat their proper dry food that is given in a pre-defined schedule. For several reasons dry food has evolved and they are very complete.
But like any owner, I like to give some snacks and rewards to my dogs.

In general rice, meat without bones, fruit and vegetables not tempered are a very safe food. Next is a list of not safe food,

Alcoholic beverages: For me is quite upsetting thinking that someone can even considerer to give alcoholic beverages to dogs. If in humans causes intoxication, liver issues, neurological problems, seizures, coma and death, imagine on your dog.

Apple seeds: Apples is a treat that I normally give to my dogs and only the seeds are dangerous since they contain cyanide.

Avocados: They are mentioned as being toxic

Caffeine: Once more one of those things that doesn’t makes sense to give to a dog. Like with humans in too much quantities, it can cause increased breathing, bleeding and heart arrhythmias.

Chocolate: Everyone already heard about this one and so I mention again, chocolate is toxic.

Garlic and onions:: In large amounts, can make a dog anemic.

Grapes and raisins: I didn’t knew about this one, but it seems that dogs can choke on grapes.

Mustard seeds: Gastroenteritis can be caused by this seeds.

Nutmeg: Ingestion can lead to tremors, seizures and death.

Potato and tomato leaves and stems: Can cause serious stomach issues.

Rhubarb leaves: These are particularly dangerous, causing organ failure.

Salt: Excessive salt can cause swelling and fluid retention in the brain.

Xylitol: Ingesting this artificial sweetener can cause a dramatic drop in blood sugar.

Yeast dough: It will expand in your dog's stomach just like it would in an oven. Also, the fermentation of the yeast is toxic to the animal.

Bones: Big enough for then not to swallow in one bite and not to splint.

I hope this list can help you clear some doubts about what can be given to a dog. I can add that rewards and treats should never been given at the table or from the kitchen balcony.

No comments: